embedding C and Python in Perl

Kenneth Loafman ken at lt.com
Fri Feb 9 11:25:36 EST 2001

Pedro Vale Lima wrote:

> Eric Hagemann wrote:
>
> > Hey all   --- maybe Python needs the same ?  Anybody seen this ?
>
> > http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/02/inline.html?wwwrrr_20010206.txt
>
> That is one thing I'm sure Python can live without.

Not really.  I'm in a Python shop, but I have a great need for some of
the more advanced regex capability of Perl.  Let's see, it would play
out like this... (very loose description).

1) Wrap Python main code in Inline
2) Python main needs advanced regex capability, calls Perl
3) Perl regex embedded code calls out to C during regex eval
4) C code does its thing (long) and returns true or false
5) Regex fails or goes on based on return from C code
6) Result returned to Python

Solves the problem of the missing (?<code>) construct.  Returns regex
evaluation to regex, rather than artificial manual coding to attempt the
same thing.

...Ken