Starting a third party application

Arild Hansen arildh at stud.cs.uit.no
Mon Feb 19 08:27:16 EST 2001

I'm trying to make a small module that executes a third party application
(for example gcalc or whatever). I do this using
os.system("applicationname &") and then the program enters a while loop
waiting for some external signal. When this signal arrives, I want the
program to make a sys.exit(1) and terminate itself AS WELL AS the third
party application it started. The code looks something like:

os.system("applicationame &")
while continue:
	if signal:
		continue = FALSE

My problem is that when the program gets the signal and terminates, the
third party application is still running. How do I solve this problem?

All help greatly appreciated,

A. Hansen