Python 2.x breaks cmp() (was Re: A suspected bug)

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at mars.localdomain
Wed Feb 21 03:02:11 EST 2001

There are two quite different reasons to define order: one is to impose a
meaningful (partial) order, another is to be able to sort things in
(whatever) possible order.

The first reason can be satisfied by rich comparison, using the magic
methods like __lt__, __ge__, and so on.

Can we then use cmp to satisfy the second mativation, namely to put
everything in an order?  This can be done without conflict with the first,
if it is required that __cmp__ be a well order (complete order) compatible
with __lt__.  (Every partial order can be extended to a well order, etc).

Eg, for complex number a+bj, one possibility is to sort them according to
(a,b) and put them between a and a+eps where eps>0.  Another is for
cmp(a,a+bj)==0.  Either would do to avoid exception in sorting.

Now that we have rich comparison, is there any reason, other than
historical, to allow __cmp__ to raise exceptions?  What would happen if sort
just treat exception of cmp(a,b) as cmp(a,b)==0?  Will it go into an
infinite loop?

Just some random thoughts.

Huaiyu

--