Is Python "Compiled"?

Hannah Schroeter hannah at schlund.de
Thu Feb 8 11:07:07 EST 2001

Hello!

In article <5Iig6.1295$D3.5361 at tor-nn1.netcom.ca>,
Warren Postma <embed at geocities.com> wrote:

>[...]

>Various efforts to build a Compiler are in "research stages".  Dynamic
>languages don't respond well to attempts to compile them.   .  Nevertheless,
>some very smart people seem to be trying.

What about Lisp, which is very often compiled to native code?

Besides, JIT technology is also there, already for a long time
(look at Smalltalk implementation techniques and see stuff implemented
a decade ago which they just "discover" for Java).

Bottom line: I don't think that "dynamic languages don't respond well
to attempts to compile them". Techniques are there (again, see Lisp,
see Smalltalk, see Cecil/vortex for examples). I'd believe that
techniques from Smalltalk implementations could also apply to the
Python language.

>Warren

Kind regards,

Hannah.