Suffering For Your Art

Lyle Johnson ljohnson at resgen.com
Fri Feb 23 09:23:04 EST 2001

> Is it just me or is there a lot of animosity towards Python as a serious
> programming language ... it seems to be an old school attitude that  if
you
> do not have to struggle and suffer with an idiosyncratic, unintuitive
> programming syntax then it cannot possibly be a powerful language.

When I first started looking at Python a few years back I had to get past
the mental block that Python was a "scripting" language and was therefore
inherently less powerful than the more traditional "compiled" languages
(e.g. C/C++ or Fortran). So while it was OK for small or even moderately
sized programming tasks, there's no way you'd write a full-blown application
in Python. I believe that's still a big misconception for a lot of people.