An alternative approach to bound methods

Tim Couper drtimcouper at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 06:02:45 EST 2001

Marcin

As I said before (IMHO) you are addressing something
important here, which seems to be self-evident to your
good self, but needs to be clearly understood by
others. Being a simple soul, I wonder if it might be
possible to restate the proposal again, maybe in a
top-down manner. Here's where I'm at, as they say.

Would I be right in saying that an objective (or is it
a consequence?) of the proposal is to permit
Pythonesque class methods as well as class attributes
in Python? If so, does the "this-is-what-I-would-like"
example which I gave in a previous email demonstrate
the requirement correctly?

This could then lead into a presentation again of the
changes that would be needed to make Python operate in
this way, and then the implications of such changes.
Again I think you see all these clearly (and they are
maybe obvious to you and others!)

It would appear that the changes covered by the
proposal are more far-reacing than the introduction of
class methods; it would be good to understand this
scope, the further benefits and downsides. Having the
class methods illustration to hand would I think be a
good stepping stone to what seems to be a more general
case.

If this is an inappropriate suggestion, please say so,
I realise it could be just me that is a bit slow :-)

Tim