MMTK and Scientific python for NT 4.0

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Feb 5 11:51:58 EST 2001

Kimmo Pääkkönen <Kimmo.Paakkonen at helsinki.fi> writes:

>   If there are no such binaries, are there some instructions how to
> compile them for NT? I have the free Borland 5.5 compiler, and I have

According to the little I know about Windows, you must use the same
compiler for compiling the Python interpreter and any extension
modules. So the first step would be to recompile Python with your
compiler.

> ), but building MMTK extensions seems confusing, as I don't have
> experience of compiling bigger projects. Any help appreciated!!

I can't help with Windows, sorry. MMTK extension modules use no
special tricks, except that the Setup file is preprocessed before
being handed to the standard Python Makefile.pre.in mechanism. You
might have to do this preprocessing manually under Windows. It
involves replacing the string "@SCIENTIFIC@" by the path to the
directory Scientific/Include of your ScientificPython installation,
and replacing the string "@LONG@" by

1) "-D_LONG64_" if sys.maxint > 2147483647
2) an empty string otherwise

With that information, Windows compilation experts should be able
to tell you what you need to do. And please let me know if you succeed;
I get an inquiry about Windows binaries about once per month.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr