Palm/Python

Jeff Collins jcollins at endeavors.com
Mon Feb 26 11:16:16 EST 2001

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 03:51:17PM +0000, Bryan Mongeau wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Congratulations to you and Micheal for the very impressive work with Pippy.
> Even more impressive is that your website seems to be shrugging off a full
> scale slashdotting! :)

Thanks!  I was surprised at how fast the news traveled.

> I was disheartened though to see in the README that floating points, file
> objects and long integers are dropped (I need those!), although I
> appreciate some concessions must be made to reduce the footprint for Palm.
>
> I notice in the goals that you intend to lobby for incorporation of these
> modifications into the core distribution... Good luck. :) Personally as a
> python PDA application developer, I require the full functionality of
> python and consequently cannot cater to a platform incapable of supporting
> it completely.
>
> Although I'm sure pippy is of great use to your application and I applaud
> your efforts, don't you see PDA capabilities as soon being able to run the
> complete python?

I wish I could predict the future:-) The earlier Palm platforms had
much less dynamic heap, stack and storage RAM than the latest models.
I would expect this trend to continue.  Check out PythonCE, a port of
an older version of Python to WinCE devices.  It is quite capable.

--
Jeffery D. Collins, Ph.D.
Sr. Software Developer