Newbie Question---IDLE on Linux

Chris Nelson fimafeng at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 19:41:15 EST 2001

I tried That--- Here's what the FAQ said at python.org

Q. I just downloaded version 2.0 (BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm) and
there is no trace of IDLE in there; an "rpm -qpl
BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm | grep -i idle" comes up empty.
http://www.python.org/idle/ claims that IDLE 0.6 is distributed as part
of Python 2.0. Checking further, I see that IDLE is included in
ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/src/python-2.0c1.tar.gz in the tools
directory. Is this an oversight? Is there a way to install IDLE without
unpacking the source tarball? (bob at drzyzgula.org)

A. This is an oversight. None of the code in Tools is installed. I will
fix this as soon as possible. (jeremy at alum.mit.edu)

Bryan Mongeau wrote:

> Easiest solution:
>

> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.0/BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.i386.rpm
>

> When you compile from source, you have to set the environment variable
>
> $PYTHONPATH to the directory where your libs are.
>

> Good luck.

  Where's IDLE?