Language change (was RE: iterators (was: python-dev summary))

Donn Cave donn at oz.net
Mon Feb 19 02:13:19 EST 2001

Quoth Grant Griffin <not.this at seebelow.org>:

| Guilty as charged!  If my implied compliment wasn't received here,
| consider it given!  I have said this before: Genius is the art of
| simplicity, and Python is a work of great simplicity.

I don't know how to say this, but I think it isn't just the language -
I'm afraid we're simple too.  Even though we didn't create it, we who
use the language are an important part of the phenomenon.  Our simple-
minded, numb tolerance for expressions like "while 1", our willingness
to write out "self" just to disambiguate namespaces, our uncritical
acceptance of incomplete OO-ness, make it possible for a language
like Python to thrive.  What are we, techno-peasants or something?

	Donn Cave, donn at oz.net