[Q] how to protect python program from decompilation

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Feb 18 12:09:05 EST 2001

In article <newscache$8sny8g$bdk$1 at lnews.actcom.co.il>,
Leonid Gluhovsky  <gleonid at actcom.co.il> wrote:

>The company I work for has a program written in Python, and wants to
>ship it to customers in such a way that even if the customers are Python
>gurus they will not be able to decompile Python bytecode and arrive at
>readable source.
>
>Is it possible?  How to do it?

The only way to do it is to physically secure the code in a way that's
inaccessible to the user's computer.  For example, one could ship a card
with a CPU; realistically, though, the only serious way to do it with
current technology is to force your users to access your web site, where
the program resides.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Why doesn't "Just Say NO" include caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, Prozac,
and Ritalin?  --Aahz