Is there an easier-to-use module than ftplib?

Raymond Hettinger othello at javanet.com
Tue Feb 20 19:36:37 EST 2001

Rick Lee wrote:

> Is there an easier-to-use module than ftplib in the standard library,
> for both uploading and downloading files?  I can't use urllib because it
> does not support uploading, it seems; and I am hoping I don't have to
> learn FTP itself, which is required somewhat by ftplib.
>
> - Rick Lee

I felt frustrated with ftplib.py at first because the documentation
pre-supposes that you already know the ftp commands.

I made the following quick notes which show an examples that cover
95% of what you might want to do with ftp:

from ftplib import *
f = FTP('ftp.javanet.com','username','password')
f.retrlines('LIST')  # or f.dir() to list the directory
f.cwd('public_html')         # change directory

r = open('random.htm','w')
f.retrlines('retr random.htm',r.write)         # download a text file
r.close()

r = open('quoter.pyw','rb')                    # upload a binary file
f.storbinary('STOR quoter.pyw',r,512)
r.close()

f.rename('quoter.pyw','q.pyw')              # rename a file
f.delete('q.pyw')                                # delete a file

f.quit()                                        # terminate the session

Hope these note help,

Raymond