use a news server? (was Re: python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31)

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Sat Feb 17 00:44:49 EST 2001

Aahz Maruch wrote in message <96kojo$g9u$1 at panix2.panix.com>...
> The main problem is on the client side: most people aren't
>familiar with using multiple news servers, and many newsreaders don't
>make it easy to do so.

Although Netscape and IE both allow that.  All you need is
the "news:" URL.

I believe xrn doesn't support multiple servers, but it's been
a long time since I used it.  Looking at sourceforge, it
does appear that trn supports multiple groups, so there's
still the vt100 support! :)

I also forgot to add, Mozilla hosts their development via
their own news server (see http://www.mozilla.org/community.html )
and Freshmeat makes their announcements available as well
(see http://freshmeat.net/faq/view/18/).

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org