String as a Variable?

Jonathan Polley
Sat Feb 3 15:34:41 EST 2001

I actually use the exec() and eval() functions.  If I need to assign to
the string/variable, I will use exec():

My_Variable = "This_Thing"
My_Expression = "= 15.75"

exec (My_Variable + My_Expression)

To read the variable, use eval():

print eval (My_Variable)

Jon

p.s.  While it may not be an accpeted practice to do this, I have found
it quite useful.  At work, we are able to quickly develop automated
tests that will do bounds checking on various python classes and
methods.