Creating Python Data Server

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 05:39:43 EST 2001

"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote in message
news:jQkk6.117367$Ch.20710042 at newsrump.sjc.telocity.net...
    [snip]
> i though about using apache/mod_python, but i want the user to feel like
> they are running things on their computer, that is, like all of the
> processes are local and the client and server are the same.  Thus http
> doesn't seem to be what i want.

Why not?  It's an excellent protocol for your needs, and you'll find
lots of infrastructure already in place for it.  To give your user
the illusion they're running things locally, you may just need to
build a custom *client* -- which you can do _after_ you've got the
basic functionality running.  Easy-as-pie.

> I'll write the interface in VB or Delphi, but I want all of the processing
> to take place on the big fast server.  A Telnet-like system would be
great,

Nothing will stop you from writing the ('a'?) custom-client in VB or
Delphi at some point.  But HTTP is a better protocol than Telnet for
your needs -- and even if it weren't, just the infrastructure issues
might justify it anyway (think firewalls and proxies, etc, etc).

Alex