What to do after Python?

Bob Calco rcalco at cortechs.com
Sun Feb 18 15:51:00 EST 2001

# Other languages.  Hm.  I've heard prolog is cool, but I've done all of
# my constraint-based programming in lisp.  I looked at Haskel, but it
# seemed over-pure.  OCaML is nice, but I never really got into it.
# Sather is a great language, but it's dying.  It's like Eiffel, in that
# it teaches good OO design, but it has really cool Icon-like iterators
# (I would so love it if python got those some how), and it's
# contravariant rather than covariant, so it doesn't have to do nearly
# as many type-checks and is thereby much faster.

Check out Mozart, an implementation of the Oz language, at
www.mozart-oz.org. It's very fringe in the sense that not very many folks
know about it but its one of the few (IMHO) successful hybrid languages
(from an engineering perspective, not a commercial perspective -- it hasn't
had enough exposure yet to make it to the "big time"), with emphasis on
concurrent programming, constraints-based programming, mobile agents, and
the like; plus, it's cross platform like Java. Its power lies in being able
to code each piece of an application according to the paradigm that best
fits the solution (functional, object-oriented, declarative, etc.) all in
the same language. I find it very "natural" for all sorts of applications,
particulary expert systems, if your into that.

It's funny; I stumbled into it looking for classical music MP3's and
information about famous composers on the web, believe it or not!

Sincerely,

Bob Calco