PEP status and python-dev summaries

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Feb 9 16:59:41 EST 2001

In article <3dd7cr8rsl.fsf at ute.cnri.reston.va.us>,
Andrew Kuchling  <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

>python-dev is the equivalent of perl5-porters.  However, Perl hasn't
>previously had a formal mechanism such as PEPs; a bunch of RFCs were
>written for Perl 6, but who knows if such formality will continue once
>actual development starts?  It seems like a curious cultural
>difference; c.l.python posters often suggest new language features,
>while in the Perl and Tcl groups, there are very few postings which
>suggest language changes.

I can't speak for Tcl, but in the case of Perl, there are few enough
people outside the core development group who actually understand Perl
to suggest changes in the language.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Actually, I've found that Usenet has helped a lot with my terror of
social stupidity.  Seeing people I really like and respect behave like
idiots in public has been very beneficial."  --Rachael Lininger