python and multi-threaded C programs

Bryan Mongeau bryan at eevolved.com
Tue Feb 20 02:51:19 EST 2001

Arvind Mani wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to python. I have a multi-threaded application in C. I would
> like to create the threads in python and then use the thread routine
> written in C. Is this possible?
>
> I am doing this because, I had some problems with global variables that
> are initialized in one thread but used in another. I dont need these
> variables to be directly visible to the python interpreter. They are
> required in functions that I call from python.
>

> Thanks,
> Arvind

Arvind,

I noticed your post over on the SWIG list. I can't help but wonder just how
valuable those thread routines in C are to you... You would save yourself a
great headache (not to mention maintainability nightmares) if you ported
your socket routines to python. It's not hard you know. Plus you can wield
python's super-powers :)

Out of curiosity, are you making a distributed, decentralized file-sharing
network? :)
--
Bryan Mongeau

"Scientific beliefs are supported by evidence, and they get results. Myths
and faiths are not and do not" -- Richard Dawkins