Python and JabberCOM

John Sands wonkowatson at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 08:46:54 EST 2001

I'm trying to use JabberCOM from Python and it isn't working. Here's
some code:

import win32com.client
import pythoncom

class JabberEvents:
    def OnAuthError(self, ErrorText):
        print "OnAuthError", ErrorText
    def OnCommError(self, ErrorText):
        print "OnCommError", ErrorText
    def OnConnect(self):
        print "OnConnect"
def test1():
    jabber = win32com.client.DispatchWithEvents
("JabberCOM.JabberSession", JabberEvents)
    jabber.Server = "jabber.org"
    jabber.Username = "WonkoWatson"
    jabber.Password = "pass"
    jabber.Resource = "sync"
    print jabber.Active
    jabber.DoConnect(0 , 0)
    pythoncom.PumpWaitingMessages()
    win32api.Sleep(10000)
    print jabber.Active

test1()
print "end"

I get no events firing, and the jabber.Active shows 0 both times.
If I comment out any of the Server,Username,Password or Resource
properties then I get an OnAuthError, so I know the event hook is
working. I can execute exactly the same code from VB and I get the
OnConnect event in a few seconds:

    Public WithEvents JSession As JabberSession
    Set JSession = New JabberSession
    JSession.server = server
    JSession.username = username
    JSession.password = password