Where is CASE?????

Lance.Ellinghaus at eConnections.com Lance.Ellinghaus at eConnections.com
Tue Feb 27 14:26:04 EST 2001

This can be done using a dictionary and functions pretty easily. At least
that is how I have always done it. For example...

def func_a():
     pass

def func_b():
     pass

def func_c():
     pass

func_dict = {
     'A': func_a,
     'B': func_b,
     'C': func_c
     }

try:
     apply(func_dict[test_value], ())
except:
     print '%c is not a valid choice' % test_value

This works for any type of value in 'test_value' and is pretty fast
executing.

--
Lance Ellinghaus
Phone: 940-466-7251
Pager: 800-226-4526 or lellinghaus at bellsouthips.com
Sr. Architect - eConnections, Inc.

                    Norman Shelley
                    <Norman_Shelley-RRDN60 at email.sp        To:     python-list at python.org
                    s.mot.com>                             cc:
                    Sent by:                               Subject:     Re: Where is CASE?????
                    python-list-admin at python.org

                    02/27/01 12:55 PM

This argument is similiar to Bertrand Meyer's argument for not having a
CASE statement in early versions of Eiffel.  He finally "saw the light"
and added in the CASE statement.  I believe he finally saw the need to
efficiently be able to handle character and string data (real world data
that has not yet been objectized).