CPAN functionality for python

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Feb 13 11:34:38 EST 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>   OB> This metadata can be put in static files. Thus, it can be easily
>   OB> mirrored/reached by www/ftp/rsync/etc. In case of Zope, mirror
>   OB> site must run Zope, so mirroring will be limited to probably 2-3
>   OB> sites in the world.
>
> I think this would be a fine project for Zope, in part because we're
> going to be spinning up zope.python.org in the next few weeks and
> could probably provide a home for it.  (Yeah, I work for Digital
> Creations, too, but only because I think it's a great company.)

   Ok, so we've found one of these 2 or 3 mirrors.

>     - Each mirror runs a ZEO client program and its own Zope server.

   What will be these other 1 or 2 mirror sites that will run Zope?

   I completeley agree that this task *can* be solved using Zope. We can
develop data formats, protocols, etc. And I completely disagree that the
task *should* be solved with Zope. It shouldn't.
    Please count current mirrors of CPAN. The figure looks good, isn't it?
This is because there are sites that provide FTP mirrors.
   Who will agree to run Zope only to mirror CPyAN?

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru