sorting question

Matthew Schinckel ten.llun at ttam
Fri Feb 9 03:34:11 EST 2001

In message <gQzg6.67860$Ch.12128127 at newsrump.sjc.telocity.net>, "dsavitsk"
wrote:
> Thank you all for the suggestions.
>
> i am trying to unscramble scrambled words (which i am frustratingly bad at)
> so i send all of the permutations to Word's spell checker and see what it
> thinks are words.  I'll post the code this afternoon when i'm done in case
> anyone wants it.

Hmm, sort of sounds similar to what I did the year before last.

The local 'Newspaper' (I give it more credit than it is due :-), the Adelaide
Advertiser, has a 9-letter word puzzle, where 9 letters are given, and the aim
is to make as many words as possible that are 4 letters or more, and contain
the magic 'middle' letter.

For instance:

C   A   R
D   A   B
R   O   O

would give many words, with cardboard as the 9-letter word.

My school had a competition where each homegroup had to try and find as many
words, and the results were tallied over the whole term.

Naturally, I wrote a python program, and took all of the fun out of it.

If anyone is interested, you might find it at:

http://www.chariot.net.au/~jaq/matt/NineLetter.zip

(It's almost 2Mb, and includes a large, almost[?] comprehensive word list.)
--
Matthew Schinckel
matt at null dot net