how to send email in python?

Mark Pilgrim f8dy at my-deja.com
Tue Feb 6 08:02:37 EST 2001

In article <3A7FA5BA.82FB7593 at esec.com.au>,
  Sam Wun <swun at esec.com.au> wrote:
> does anyone knows? I am using python 1.6.

You don't specify which platform you're on, so I won't assume you have
sendmail or anything easy like that, so we'll do it the hard (and
cross-platform) way.

from smtplib import SMTP def sendmail(smtpserver, fromaddr, toaddr, subject,
msg):  smtpsock = SMTP(smtpserver)  msg = "From: Your name
<%(fromaddr)s\nSubject: %(subject)s\n\n%(msg)s" % vars()  rc =
smtpsock.sendmail(fromaddr, [toaddr], msg)  smtpsock.quit()  return rc

## If your mail server requires POP authentication (like Yahoo! Mail does),
you can't call the above function directly; call this one instead: from
poplib import POP3 def sendmailwithPOPauth(popserver, popuser, poppassword,
smtpserver, fromaddr, toaddr, subject, msg):  popsock = POP3(popserver)
popsock.user(popuser)  popsock.pass_(poppassword) # note weird function name;
"pass" is reserved word in Python  popsock.quit()  return
sendmail(smtpserver, fromaddr, toaddr, subject, msg)

Hope this helps.

-M
--
You're smart; why haven't you learned Python yet?  http://diveintopython.org/