python 2.0 won't run scripts with \r\n line termination on RH7?

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 03:46:23 EST 2001

Mike Carifio wrote:
> So here's my solution, crufty though it is. I created a link to the python
> executable named 'python^M', in other words I added the carriage return to
> the end of the file name so bash would find it.

Ay-ay-ay...

Ingenious lateral thinking, but...

I can't imagine why people freak out when they can't write UNIX scripts that
don't have UNIX line endings! If the first line starts '#!' it should finish
'\n', not '\r\n'. If it doesn't, fix the file, not the OS.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/