dictionary sub-value lookup

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Feb 8 11:08:20 EST 2001

In article <3A826E2E.611F9DBD at millinfo.co.za>,
Richard  <rhsteven at eng.uct.ac.za> wrote:
>Okie, <python newbie tries better explanation>:
>
>The object comes from a program.  I have no control over it.
>Example of M[0]:
>({'Label': 251, 'value': 1275.0})
>
>I just throught there was some easy way of getting M[i] given that
>M[i]['Label'] = 251 ... when what I really want is M[i]['value']
>
>ie: given '251', find corrosponding 1275.

For starters, you probably want a real database for this kind of thing.
That way, someone else has already done the work.  But if you really
want to do this in Python, you need to create a dict that looks
something like this:

M[251] = (1275.0, 0)

If it's possible that more than one label of 251 will exist, you need to
do this:

M[251] = [(1275.0, 0), ...]

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Actually, I've found that Usenet has helped a lot with my terror of
social stupidity.  Seeing people I really like and respect behave like
idiots in public has been very beneficial."  --Rachael Lininger