use a news server? (was Re: python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Feb 23 21:24:45 EST 2001

Thomas,

As long as you're asking...  ;-)

One thing I've occasionally thought of trying to do is set
up a gateway for *all* of the varied python related SIG's,
mailing lists and newsgroups through to a private back-end
news server.  I dropped out of most of my subscriptions last
year when there were a lot of mail related problems, but I
miss being able to follow the interesting topics as they
come across.  Certainly the volume of mail on the python and
Zope lists alone keep me from re-subscribing, but I'm quite
happy browsing the python list on news.cis.dfn.de, and would
enjoy having news group access to browse and follow the
other lists.  Perhaps an upfeed on the legitimate
newsgroups, but for the mailing list only groups, an e-mail
shot off to the list would suffice (assuming they accept
posts from non-subscribers... otherwise just subscribe).

Good luck with this.  If you're counting votes, let me know.
I'm more than willing to vote again.  ;-)

See you,

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com
-------------------

wrote:

> [ Thomas Wouters suggests running an NNTP/list server for
the Python
>   community ]
>
> > Let me back this up [ .. ]
>
> Since I've seen some positive reactions to this idea, I'm
wondering how many
> more I could get by explicitly asking for it :) I'm
willing to try and get
> my employee to cough up the machines, the place to locate
them in a system
> room and the connectivity to the 'net (and boy, that's
some connectivity:)
> but I'll only do that if it's actually considered useful.
I'm pretty much
> out of touch with 'the Python community' as an entity, so
I'll have to ask
> straight up:
>
> - Do we need another way to get a list/forum for Pythonic
discussions,
>   regardless of the exact medium ? I'm unsure what real
alternatives there
>   are, but the initial look of groups.yahoo.com ("Give me
your personal
>   data!") scares the old cyberhacker in me enough to
protest against it. And
>   those of you who lived in the Netherlands during
XS4ALL's ad campaign and
>   subsequent court cases, last year, should know why :)
>
>   I know about lists.sourceforge.net, but I doubt they
want to bother
>   setting up lists for all Python projects. (Or maybe they
do. I don't
>   know.) The same goes about starship.python.net, though
I'm sure they are a
>   bit more willing to host python discussions :)
>
> - For howmany projects/discussions, roughly ? Is it really
worth setting up
>   a seperate machine/network for it ?
>
> - What kind of forum would be desirable ? I was thinking
newsgroups (with or
>   without an 'upfeed') gated to Mailman lists, but some
webforum is possible
>   too.
>
> --
> Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>
>
> Hi! I'm a .signature virus! copy me into your .signature
file to help me spread!