while loop with f.readline()

Jeff Epler jepler at inetnebr.com
Thu Feb 15 08:22:39 EST 2001

>Jeff Epler wrote:
>> [xreadlines] never hold the entire file in memory.

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:11:46 GMT, Fredrik Lundh
 <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>never?  not even if it's a single byte? ;-)

I thought about making a qualification like this, but decided nobody would
feel the need to be such a smart-arse.

I'd say, "xreadlines will never hold more than a few KB of the file
in memory", but that's wrong if you have a file with a multi-megabyte line.

So, as you can see, I'm at a loss to describe just what xreadlines does,
but I'm sure it's a really wonderful thing.

Jeff