vim and python

Timothy Grant tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Thu Feb 15 15:30:08 EST 2001

Since this is more python related than vim related I'll post it here. I have
recently had contact with a vim missionary (came to my door one Saturday
morning and started telling me that I needed to be saved from emacs).

Since I had been feeling a bit frustrated with emacs, and since I do suffer
from tendonitis in one of my wrists, I thought I'd give it a shot.
Surprisingly, I quite like it, and it is certainly easier on my bad wrist.

I've been muddling through for a couple of days now, and discovered that
there is quite nice builtin python support. I played with it and got it sort
of working, but have run into what look like environmental problems.

I start vim from the directory where my source files are located, and
attempt to do a :pyf %, and I started getting import errors. Not a problem,
I simply added my source directory to the end of sys.path and tried again.
Now the import works correctly, but I am getting more errors and I can't
explain them.

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "wlautoconf.py", line 20, in ?
    class acOptions(wlOptions):
NameError: wlOptions
Press RETURN or enter command to continue

wlOptions is a class that is imported from a file in my source directory.

So, does anyone have any tips on setting up a nice python/vim environment?

Thanks.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Timothy Grant                         tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630