CPAN functionality for python

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Feb 14 04:25:28 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >    Ok, so we've found one of these 2 or 3 mirrors.
> >
> > >     - Each mirror runs a ZEO client program and its own Zope server.
> >
> >    What will be these other 1 or 2 mirror sites that will run Zope?
>
> Why do you assume no one will run Zope?

   I didn't assume. I know for sure there are not much Zope installations,
and most FTP mirrors will not agree to run Zope for us.

> How many mirrors do we really need?  Not "We want as many as CPAN!" but how
> many do we actually need to have in order to support the load we expect this
> service to undertake and to give some fail-over capabilities.

   Initially we don't need much mirrors. But I personally hope sooner or
later the load will be high. I certainly want to develop Python community
and make it bigger and more eager for good modules and extensions! :)

> >     Please count current mirrors of CPAN. The figure looks good, isn't it?
> > This is because there are sites that provide FTP mirrors.
>
> What is mirrored on all of these sites, the actual database or the service
> which does the lookups?

   All things. Modules, docs, the perl distribution itself, etc.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru