use a news server? (was Re: python-dev summary, Jan. 16-31)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Feb 17 10:24:31 EST 2001

In article <mailman.982408039.17122.python-list at python.org>,
Thomas Wouters  <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:

>Pfiffle. Regardles of whether the idea is workable or not, these *technical*
>issues are non-issues. I (and the company I work for, XS4ALL) have offered
>sponsorship in the form of machines and maintenance multiple times. (In
>fact, I keep offering it whenever I mail Barry, when the lists seem sickish
>again :-) The original offer was for webservers/mailservers, but there is no
>reason to make it (or include into it) NNTP servers. And we have ample
>bandwidth and experience in running NNTP servers.
>
>I don't trust *you* to manage a UNIX system, Tim, and I doubt I trust Guido
>to touch one of my systems<wink>, but I certainly trust me and my colleagues

Let me back this up: xs4all has one of the best reputations in the ISP
business.  I don't have any personal experience, but several people I
trust rank xs4all right up with panix.  I think this would likely be one
of the best things that could happen to the Python community, getting
the core hardware/software under professional management.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that xs4all isn't on the
continental US, but that means very little these days.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Why doesn't "Just Say NO" include caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, Prozac,
and Ritalin?  --Aahz