Is Python for me?

Kendall G. Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Tue Feb 20 05:49:46 EST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 08:37:56 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

>If I wanted to meet your constraints 1-5, I'd be torn between Haskell
>(no objects, but...)

Well, there's always O'Haskell

	http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~nordland/ohaskell/

and Mondrian

	http://www.mondrian-script.org/

(But beware the Mondrian syntax; my Python-as-first-language eyes were
nearly burned out at the site of the unholy mixture of Haskell and
Java syntaxes. Yeek!)

So lemme see if I've got this right:

1. There's something Alex Martelli doesn't know; and

2. the Timbot is (still) spreading about the hoary 'Common Lisp is
*really* huge' myth[1]?

Martelli omissions and a Timbot imprecision in one night's
news-reading session? c.l.py is slipping! :>

Best,
Kendall Clark

[1] See the recent c.l.lisp thread wherein Kent Pitman (the Timbot of
c.l.l.  Or is our Timbot the Kentbot of c.l.py? -- those CL hackers
have all that tricky AI, doncha know!) said,

   Add to this the fact that Lisp has a Large Footprint(TM). That is,
   it takes up MANY megabytes.  I say "(TM)" to underscore the fact
   that there are some factoids (or false-oids) that get enshrined as
   lemmas and not re-evaluated with time.  Lisp WAS big back in the
   early 90's but it so panicked customers that Lisp images have
   hardly grown in size for the last decade.  During the same
   interval, every release of every other language has grown by leaps
   and bounds.  A Lisp image is now competitive with, and often tiny,
   compared to images of other languages.  The difference is often a
   distribution of .dll's that make it hard to see the size of the
   other things.  And even there, the commercial vendors have dll
   solutions that do similar tricks.  So this is just a myth
   perpetuated by people not going back to find out what the real
   truth is.

(I haven't sorted out the Google refurb of Deja well enough to have a
chance in hell of finding a proper URL. My SLRN newspool says
"Re: Help me convince skeptics! Lisp success stories wanted...".)

--
THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS		http://monkeyfist.com/