Creating Python Data Server

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Mon Feb 19 21:42:23 EST 2001

This is sort of Python related, that is, if I write it, it will be in
Python.  I am really wondering if this exists, or is even practical ...

I am trying to set up client/server system like a database server with
stored procedures and what not where the procedures are written in python
(or any other language), live on the server, and that isn't tied to any
particular database. So the user would press a button on the interface
sending a signal to the server which would instantiate whatever objects were
necessary on the server, process the data, and then return the data to the
client.

i though about using apache/mod_python, but i want the user to feel like
they are running things on their computer, that is, like all of the
processes are local and the client and server are the same.  Thus http
doesn't seem to be what i want.

I'll write the interface in VB or Delphi, but I want all of the processing
to take place on the big fast server.  A Telnet-like system would be great,
but the win32 style interface with all of the prerequisite buttons and
progress bars is essential. Also, I would rather use UNIX/MySQL on the
server, but i don't want the users to know that.

Does this sound like a reasonable project? and is there anything similar or
does anyone have any better ideas?

thanks,
doug