Better Threading, starting with Events

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Feb 23 21:13:59 EST 2001

embed at geocities.com (Warren Postma) wrote in
<jRwk6.270$TW.2706 at tor-nn1.netcom.ca>:

[huge snip]

>Anyone interested in native C Type for Event Signalling? I have written
>a 1.0, or 0.1, that works, it just ain't portable off of Win32. I'll
>make it portable if there is some agreement on the basic idea behind
>what I'm doing.

If you want to work with native Win32 events, locks etc. you can use Mark
Hammond's Win32event stuff. But before you go making cross-platform
promises, you might want to look carefully at threadmodule.c and friends.

Believe it or not, it took a lot of effort to come up with a set of Python
primitives which behave reasonably cross-platform. What's efficient on one
platform is likely to a dog on another.

- Gordon