Rounding Question

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacobkm at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Feb 21 13:27:58 EST 2001

In article <96vudj02hnf at news1.newsguy.com>, "Alex Martelli"
<aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip a whole bunch of great ideas...]

Thanks so much for the great discussion; although this is really a
trivial part of what I'm doing, it's nice to be able to do it right...

In the end, I decided that:

> def nextHigherOrEqualMultiple(depth, N):
>     "compute the least multiple of N >= depth"
>     return int((depth+N-1)/N) * N
>
> with
>
> tableDepth = nextHigherOrEqualMultiple(depth, 10)

is what I'm going to use; I really only need to make this calculation
once, so a long function name really isn't a problem, and although I'm
writing for NAUI tables now, I know that certain other tables use
increments of 5 feet, so it makes sense to have a generic function
available.

Thanks once again,

Jacob