Python/C++ for graphics vs. other languages?

Doug Ball doug at postsmart.net
Sat Feb 3 12:30:14 EST 2001

les schaffer wrote in response to a prior posting:

> >I am working on a real-time 3d simulation of a medical procedure, to run
on
> >an Athlon 1.2 GHz machine under windows 2000.
>
> this sounds interesting. are you at liberty to divulge more details of
> the project?

Thanks for your interest!

We will be working on an interactive simulation of
electromyographically-guided Botulinum toxin injection.  In this procedure,
the practitioner places a needle into a muscle, generally guided by surface
landmarks, then more specifically guided by the electrical signals produced
when the muscle contracts (summated compound action potentials).  Once the
needle is placed, Botulinum toxin is injected, subsequently blocking the
chemical signals than are responsible for controlling muscle contraction (it
blocks the presynaptic vesicle from binding to the presynaptic membrane).
This procedure is typically used for patients with severe muscle spasticity.

The simulation user will have visual and auditory feedback from a 3D model
of the patient and from the EMG-machine monitor.  The user will indicate the
initial location of needle placement, then will request that the patient
model activates the target muscle. This action will result in a simulated
signal on the EMG-monitor (with both visual and auditory components) that
aids the user in further localizing the muscle, while adjusting  the needle
for optimal placement within the muscle.

Our goal is to develop this application for physician education.

Thanks again.

Doug