[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python - requirements

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 13:29:18 EST 2001

Followup to Catalog-sig only (pine doesn't seem to let me set that
in the headers...)?  I don't think this has much to do with Distutils.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:30:13AM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> >But it will also discover and resolve dependences in your perl
> >site-packages, and automatically fetch them from your closest
> >CPAN archive.
>
> Not according to my tests the night before last.  I did a test CPAN
> install of "News::Newsrc", which failed because the "make test" was
> failing.  I then installed the "Set::BitSet" (?  Something like that)
> module and tried News::Newsrc again and it worked...
[...]

Did you use CPAN.pm?  CPAN the archive doesn't do dependencies.
Dependencies are listed in the Makefile.PL (BTW, I have no idea why the
capitalised PL), and after the module CPAN.pm downloads what you asked
for, it checks that to see if there are dependencies, then downloads them
if you don't already have them installed.

John