Data management products (was: How do you lock your web app data?)

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Thu Feb 1 20:26:15 EST 2001

In article <95a49u11uao at news1.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>"Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message
>news:D62094CDC48C0FCA.44A0CB1CEB4E1F76.B8EA27DB5535EBAD at lp.airnews.net...
>    [snip]
>> Actually, all these Alex has mentioned have
>> capabilities that'll knock the socks off vic-
>> tims habituated to Access, for example.
>
>Just one attempt at terminology clarification...:
>
>Access is a possibly-handy GUI IDE front-end for cobbling together
>possibly-intricated DB operations; at least if you don't mind

[snip]

>Fortunately, Access of course works perfectly well with MSDE (or
>other editions of SQL Server), Oracle, and no doubt other good
>RDBMS's yet.

Well...  The PostgreSQL people had one heck of a time dealing with
the sql that access generated.  But that was a year or two ago.

-- cary

>               Even if one IS habituated to Access (and there may
>be perfectly good reasons for choosing it to develop certain DB
>apps, I guess), there is no reason not to switch to a better engine
>underneath the chrome (given that MSDE is freely redistributable

[snip]