Cancel messages

Howard Knight howardk at cts.com
Mon Dec 31 22:01:25 EST 2001

Aahz Maruch (aahz at panix.com) wrote:
> In article <3c3097c7$0$79590$e2e8da3 at nntp.cts.com>,
> Howard Knight <howardk at cts.com> wrote:
> >Aahz Maruch (aahz at panix.com) wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think that cancels affect python-list, but the admins should
> >> probably set up a filter to ignore the REPOST: articles based on the
> >
> >Actually, a better filter would be the "resurrector" pseudo site in the
> >Path line.  That way, if anyone else besides Guido resurrects posts, it
> >will filter those out too.  Here's a sample of one of Guido's Path
> >lines:

> Possibly; what I meant, though, was filtering on the *existence* of
> X-Reposted-By:, not the value of the header.  That ought be more
> efficent and just as accurate.

For the mailing list, either one should work fine.  For filtering on
a news server itself, using the Path site filter is generally easier.
So, if any of you are using a news server that does not honor cancels
and you are still seeing the reposts, you should ask your news admin
to drop all the reposts by filtering on the "resurrector" pseudo site.

Howard