A new forum is up! Q: what means nntp

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Dec 30 14:47:26 EST 2001

Peter Hansen doubts he was reading netnews in 1980.  Peter Hansen is in
Toronto, if I remember correctly, and so his doubts are probably wrong.
In 1980 Henry Spencer and I at utzoo made usenet international with
the 23rd or 28th usenet site (the lpr paper is too faded to tell now.)
We spread usenet to Canadian universities and companies all over
Canada.  If you were reading it, it was because either Henry or I
stayed up past midnight (we alternated nights) to call out first to
duke then to decvax, when decvax came on board.  Autodialers were
very expensive then, and utzoo didn't have any.

Google is storing all the old usenet from then by the way, the
old utzoo backup tapes (and yes, I made roughly a third of them
as well) if you ever get curious as to what things were like then.
http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Laura Creighton