Learning resources needed

Duke thisis at bogus.com
Wed Dec 5 13:24:47 EST 2001

"Luca Fini" <lfini at arcetri.astro.it> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0112051051230.32312-100000 at localhost.localdomain...
> The Tkinter tutorial was good for me. I had a little experience in window
> based programming in IDL and some development with LabWindows/CVI. See:
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

Grazzie tanto Luca!  I don't know how I managed to not find it myself, but
that's what happened.

> > Seems to me that Python is, in a way, competing with Tcl as the
scripting
> > engine behind the Tk toolkit.  If I learn Tcl/Tk first would it be
> > relatively simple to move over to Python/Tkinter?
>
> I do not believe so. I do not know tcl at all but I've had a look to a
> "python/tcl/basic" based introduction to programming tutorial
> (http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/) for the very beginner and tcl looks
> very ugly as a programming language. My feeling is that Tk will survive
> only because it has very strong bundles with python and perl.

>From what I've read it has a few similarities with LISP.  I think it [Tcl]
too will survive because a) it's installed on a gazillion machines & b) it's
very simple to use (including Tk) for quickly building (what starts out as)
simple GUI apps.  I'm gonna learn it just enough so that I can write
supersimple apps in it.  There seem to be a lot of pople that badmouth it,
yet there seem to be a lot of people who swear by it.

That said, I'm going to focus on bettering my Python/Tkinter skills.

Thx