Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 18 09:03:47 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Tishler" <jason at tishler.net>
To: "Andy Todd" <andy47 at halfcooked.com>
Cc: "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com>; <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: Cygwin socket library status enquiry

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 03:45:46AM +0000, Andy Todd wrote:
> > "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in
> > >Can anyone tell me what's going on?
>
> Not really.  All that I can offer is that Cygwin Python passes
test_socket
> with the Cygwin (i.e., not Python) caveat below.
>
> > I believe that there are still some socket problems with Cygwin,
although
> > most have been addressed by recent versions of the DLL. In
particular there
> > were problems with Win98 that have now been resolved on my
installation.

> Andy brings up a good point -- What platform are you using?  9x/Me or
> NT/2000/XP?  If 9x/Me, then try under NT/2000/XP.  If NT/2000/XP.,
> then try to post a minimal C test program that exhibits the problem
> to cygwin at cygwin.com.
>
> > I don't think everything is solved with the current port of Python
though.
> > By searching the Cygwin mailing list for 'python' and 'socket';
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=builtin-

long&sort=time&config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F&exclude=&words=py
tho
> > n+socket
> >
> > (excuse wrapping of URL) it looks like Jason is still ironing out
socket
> > problems and has been working on them as recently as a couple of
days ago;

> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00639.html
>
> The root cause of the above problems are completely unrelated to
sockets.
> They are actually caused by Cygwin's fork() which requires all DLLs in
> children to be based at the same address as in the parent.  Otherwise,
> the Cygwin DLL causes the child to abort during fork().

This seems like a reasonable requirement/assumption.

> Python's test_socket just happens to be one way of tickling this
> problem.  In fact, the situation has been recently exacerbated since
> many libraries that were previously static have just been updated to
> be shared (e.g., OpenSSL).  Hopefully, a DLL rebasing technique will
> solve this fork() problem for Python and other applications.
>
> Jason

Thanks for the information. Useful to know what we can expect to work
and what we can't. It's simply unfortunate that this particular problem
affects an area I've been working in. Overall Cygwin is an amazing piece
of software, and having Cygwin Python available has been a boon - I was
very impressed when the mx tools (including ODBC) built and installed
without too much trouble.

Thanks for your work on Cygwin Python. I look forward to the DLL
rebasing when it happens.

regards
 Steve
--