vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?

Bas van Gils bas.vangils at home.nl
Sun Dec 23 06:48:22 EST 2001

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:19:56PM +0900, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> Bottom line: You have to spend at least a week using both editors before you
> can make a good decision.

I agree with Jonathan. I started of on linux/unix using pico, and moved
on towards vim, mainly because my co-workers used it. After a while I
tried using Emacs and found it a nice editor as well, after struggling
with the key-strokes :-)

There's two things that I missed in the thread so far. The first is that
'idle' wasn't mentioned. For Python-programming I use Idle fairly often
and I'm quite happy with it. The second is the `way of life' in both
Emacs and vim. I found that when I was using Emacs , I opened many
buffers and kept only 1 instance of Emacs running at a time. With
(g)vim, however, I usually have many instances running with only 1 or 2
buffers open.

Oh, before I forget. I think the commands in (g)vim, often, are more
'logical' then the keystrokes in Emacs, but that's a matter of taste.

hope-this-helps'ly yours

    Bas

--
Bas van Gils <bas.vangils at home.nl>   -    http://members.home.nl/bas.vangils
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.