A modest indentation proposal

Erann Gat gat at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 3 13:15:58 EST 2001

In article <3C0BBC1A.6E4154F at home.net>, Chris Barker
<chrishbarker at home.net> wrote:

> I if get this straight, you seem to think that the indentation issue is
> the ONLY thing getting in the way of NASA adopting Python.

No, that is not the case.  In fact, you seem to have made this up out of
whole cloth.

> By the way, did you suggest to the LISP community that LISP should
> optionally use something other than all those parentheses? That seems to
> be the main unimportant stumbling block when people used to C/C++
> consider LISP.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did.  I even implemented it (it's easy to do
within standard Lisp), as have dozens of other people.  The only reason I
haven't implement this suggestion myself is that I don't know how.

> By the way, to an organization that is considering adopting a new
> language, I would think that the fact that the language is NOT likely to
> change with every new request would be a good thing! MAybe we are all
> just being tested? ;-)

Yes, I suppose you could say this was a test of sorts.  Indentation is not
the only issue that meets with objections, but it is the one that is
easiest to solve.  My goal in making the suggestion that I did was as much
to see what kind of responses it would get as to actually get the
suggestion implemented.

E.