Good book for Learning Python??

David Rollo drollo at cns.net.au
Mon Dec 10 08:48:29 EST 2001

Don Tuttle wrote:

> If that's not you, get the new book by Chris Fehily "Visual Quickstart Guide
> to Python".  IMHO this is now the best book for programmers to learn how
> Python works.  It's inexpensive ($21.99 US). It's short. And after you've
> read it, it's still valuable as a quick reference.
>
> But what really sets this book apart from all the rest is the massive amount
> of code examples and resultant output. Each example progresses from simple
> to increasingly complex.
>
> There are now a lot of good Python books but this is one I'd call a must
> have for anyone new to Python. (and maybe not so new ;-)

 ... And a hearty re-endorsement from someone completely new to Python.
Fehily's book is also remarkably clear and well-written. The code
examples, which have been very cleverly chosen, double as an ideal
self-testing device, although Fehily is also smart enough not to make a
feature of that. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and it's been a
really fascinating read ... although perhaps that's also got something
to do with it being Python.

David Rollo