Scientific Libraries in Python

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at cyberwaveindia.com
Thu Dec 6 23:48:20 EST 2001

Hi,

Travis, thanks for the information on LGPL and also on the list of
things that SciPy can do.  My mail is still badly messed up so I'm
trying to track this thread via google.

Horatio Davis <horatio at qpsf.edu.au> wrote in message news:<mailman.1007205601.7743.python-list at python.org>...
> On 1 Dec 2001, Kragen Sitaker wrote:

[Travis on LGPL]

[Kragen raises point against LGPL citing potential problems]
> > Right.  Their only obligation would be to let people drop in newer
> > versions of MayaVi.  So, for example, Mathematica or IDL could add
> > MayaVi as a plotting option if you released it under the LGPL.

> These packages already have visualization options which, surprisingly,
> they seem happy with. If they wanted to add the VTK as their visualization
> library, they could do so now, because VTK is free-as-in-beer. If they
> want to move away from their proprietary languages and use Python to work
> with the VTK... at the risk of further embarrassing Prabhu, I respectfully
> submit that MayaVi would eat them for breakfast.

Umm, I'm not sure I understand.  Did you really mean that MayaVi would
be able to eat the Mathematica and IDL graphics for breakfast?  I
haven't used them much to actually comment on that but if they do
choose to use MayaVi for their visualization then it isn't really
possible to eat them for breakfast is it?  Anyway thanks for the
compliments.

> It would just gain bigger teeth if the rest of us could use it (and
> Scigraphica, for that matter) without being GPL'd for our troubles.
Thats true.  I believe that the LGPL was designed for helping
libraries in growing bigger teeth.

My head is spinning after reading the LGPL license.  I think I need to
read it more carefully and spend some time on it. Understanding
licenses is a pain. *sigh*

prabhu