"print 0.1==0.1" -> TypeError; what did I do?

Maciej Kalisiak mac at dgp.toronto.edu
Tue Dec 4 01:53:40 EST 2001

I'm writing some extensions in C.  I've only dabbled in this for the
past 4 days, but had relative success with it, as far as getting what
I want to work.  I'm stuck though with one (seemingly) small glitch:
after my extension executes, all of a sudden real numbers start to
misbehave.  For example, "print 0.1 == 0.1" results in:
  TypeError: bad argument type for built-in operation
(OTOH, "print 1 == 1" works fine)

I don't know much of the internals of Python, so this isn't giving me
any hints as to what the problem is.  Can anyone offer any hints of
what to look at, as far as debugging goes?  What could cause this type
of behaviour?

I'm using Python 2.1, if it matters.

--
Maciej Kalisiak|mac@] "Never wrestle with a pig. When you do, two things