Fate of win32all?

stalin woodsplitter at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 22 00:16:38 EST 2001

I've used win32all occasionally--always in noncommercial settings--and
have found it helpful.  I'd like to thank Mr. Hammond for developing
the packages and ActiveState for supporting their recent maintenance
by employing Hammond.

Mr. Hammond had personally developed the win32 packages to
considerable maturity before he became involved with ActiveState.  His
employment by ActiveState appears to have come to an untimely end just
recently ( http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-December/019038.html
).  I don't mean to be insensitive--I'm sure Hammond has a lot on his
mind right now--but I wonder about the fate of win32all.  What role
does ActiveState now play in licensing the package?  Has the original
author lost a degree of his control over it to his former employer?

My suspicion is rooted in the apparent lack of a binary distribution
of win32all for Python 2.2 independent of ActiveState's ActivePython
product.  Queries about a binary distribution of win32all for Python
2.2 have gone unanswered for months:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=win32all+2.2&hl=en&group=comp.lang.python.*&rnum=1&selm=9ralkq%24rdc%241%40ins22.netins.net

ActiveState's win32all page does not list a binary download for Python
2.2,:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/Extensions/Win32all

although they have developed an ActivePython 2.2 alpha that of course
*incorporates* win32all:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePython

Hammond's personal Starship page makes no mention of a win32all binary
for Python 2.2:
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

I wrote this message simply because I'd like to know who holds the
reins of win32all, and what their plans for it are.  I am *not* an
anti-ActiveState malcontent looking to spread conspiracy theories,
though I must say that recent developments call the future of the
company into question in my mind.