pep proposal : A date object for the standard library

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Thu Dec 6 13:36:24 EST 2001

sebastien wrote:

> A powerful mxDateTime tools already exist but this package is probably
> to complex to go on the standard distribution[3].

I use mxDateTime frequently, and it is a fabulous package. I have no
idea what Marc-André Lemburg thinks about putting it into the standard
library, but the license he has released it under seems to allow it.
While it may have some extra stuff that wouldn't belong in the standard
library, It makes a whole lot more sense to me to put in a trimmed-down
version that to re-invent this particular wheel.

That being said, I really would like to have a nice DateTime Package as
part of the standard library, however it gets there.

One other note: Others here have pointed out limitations in the
suggested approach when it comes to Nanoseconds, and the like. I would
argue that applications that deal with nanoseconds are of a different
breed than those that deal with day, month, year type calculations.
There is no need for a single package to handle both well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.