DOS, Socket support?

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 15:28:03 EST 2001

Brian Geddes wrote:

> All -
>
> I'm searching for a version of Python (1.5.2 or newer, preferably) compiled
> for DOS, that has includes support for TCP/IP sockets (socket.py).  After a
> bit of searching on the web I'm almost convinced that such a version does
> not exist, but I thought I'd check here before I gave up my search, as
> you've all been quite helpful in the past.  :)
>
> I have found Python 1.5.2 compiled for DOS, but it was the executable only.
> I don't know the internals of socketmodule.c, but does anyone have an idea
> how difficult it would be to modify and recompile it for DOS?

Depends. *Compiling* it with the socket module is not that much of
a problem... I used to do that with DJGPP. I don't know for sure
though if I used a third-party library or that it came with DJGPP.
That's *compiling* -- the socket module didn't work well, although
I've been able to check mail with it (poplib.py), but not much more.

I think, to get a working socket module on DOS, you'll need to look
for a third-party library, and then somehow integrate it with the
Python module.

Unfortunately I am stuck on a box with WinXP now, so my DOS stuff
doesn't work well anymore (especially DJGPP seems to suffer from
this)... so I cannot be of much more help right now. :-(

--Hans