Unsung Python modules

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Fri Dec 14 15:56:48 EST 2001

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> What's your favorite unsung module?

Numeric., although it has been sung (so has PIL). I do think it is
underutilized. Most folks seem to think it is "overkill" unless you are
doing serious number crunching (which I do), but I think is is very
useful even if you are working with small enough data sets that the
performance gains don't buy you anything. Being able to work with arrays
of Numbers (N-d arrays, no less) without all those loops, (or maps, or
list comprehension's) is just too nice!

Also, slicing arrays of greater than 1 dimension is often indispensable.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.